Our hands and wrists have 27 bones along with the soft tissue that allows us the flexibility and strength to be able to perform tasks. Even a minor hand or finger injury will remind us how important it is to have the full use of our hands.
As per different accident analysis close to 20% of all days away from work injuries are hand related. In fact around 10% of all hospital emergency visits are related to hand injuries and 40% of these injuries involve lacerations or cuts.
How should you avoid hand injuries?
- Complete a pre task Safe Plan of Action (SPA) so that you can eliminate the hazards and dangers in the job to be done.
- Be aware of pinch points. Be aware of hot points.
- Be aware of rotating or moving surfaces. Automated machinery may be controlled by remote control, or delay timing devices that cause the machine to start automatically.
- Loose clothing and jewelry may be caught up in moving machinery.
- Never remove machine safeguards or operate machinery with safeguards removed.
- Use the appropriate tool for the job.
- Wear the right gloves, that fit correctly, and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).