SAFETY SERIES – 10
USE LADDERS SAFELY
Ladders are most commonly used in construction sites as well as houses for repair work. Using them in an improper manner can be dangerous. Accidental falls from ladders are known to have caused serious injuries and at times proved fatal. Most of these falls occur because safety precautions are generally ignored while using ladders.
To avoid fall, here are some tips:
- Choose properly designed ladder for the required job. Place it on a firm, even ground before climbing on it. Make sure it is strong enough to support your weight.
- Inspect the ladder carefully before using it.
- Make sure ladder's rungs are clean, intact and secure.
- Do not place the ladder in front of a door or in the passage where people are continuously moving.
- Always maintain three-point contact by keeping both hands and one foot or both feet and one hand on the ladder at all times.
- Always keep your face towards the ladder. Don’t lean from the side. Keep yourself centered within the side rails.
- Never climb past the third rung from the top on a straight ladder. Make sure that straight ladders have slip resistant feet.
- Never carry tools or equipment in your hands while climbing up or down. Use a tool belt or tool pouch to carry these items.
- Always use a wooden ladder when working on or near electrical equipment.
- Make sure that some one is holding the ladder properly at the bottom.
Don’t take chances! Inspect the ladder thoroughly before using it
Visit for Safety Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChREXvbLQ3fPxOLKflPRj_g