Safety Talks: Precautions taken GAS WELDING & CUTTING
Any hot work will start with a valid hot work permit.
- Frequent gas test to be carried out.
- In a gas welding or cutting operations, the oxyacetylene flames shall be ignited by the lighter specially designed.
- The pressure regulators and gauges shall be suitable and in good working condition.
- The cylinder valve must be closed before the regulator is removed.
- Flash back arrestors should be fitted both end with the hoses to prevent flash back.
- The adequate ventilation must be provided to expel toxic gases/fumes, if activities carried out inside a tank / vessel / any confined space.
- All valves, flanges, drains, canals etc. where gas leaks or presence of flammable atmosphere is possible should be covered.
- Combustible materials to be removed from welding point.
- Valid Fire Extinguishers and Fire Watcher should be provided.
- When need to cover the welding point with proper fire blanket.
- When necessary, wet the area with water and pressurized firewater hose shall be provided.
- Equipment, which will be used for hot work to be inspected before starting up the job.
- All hose and cable, plugs and sockets must be in good condition.