SAFETY SERIES:- 16
SCAFFOLDS AND WORKING PLATFORMS
Scaffolds should be erected as per required standard.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SCAFFOLDS
- Scaffolding should be strong, sturdy and sway free.
- Scaffolds should preferably be of metal tubes with bolted joints or made of wooden (casurina) poles and tied with wet coir. Bamboos shall not be used for scaffolding.
- Erection of scaffolding should be from lift pit bottom to the bottom of machine room.
- Wooden poles used shall be of sound material and free from any defects like cracks, termites etc.,
- The diameter of vertical casurina poles should be 4” (100 mm) and that of horizontal 3” (75 mm) minimum.
- The horizontal members must be tied at a vertical spacing of 750 mm. (2 ½feet)
- For rigid scaffolding, horizontals should be stuck against side walls.
- The coir ropes used for tying wooden poles should not be worn. The coir ropes should be wetted periodically.
- Check the tying of scaffolds before entering the scaffold.
- Check whether Scaffold shakes before entering the scaffold.
- Check whether the wooden poles are firmly rested and are not shaking before stepping on them.
II. WORKING PLATFORMS
- The working platform should be more than 650 mm wide.
- For 1 m support span, Board thickness should be more than 32 mm.
- For 1.5 m support span, Board thickness should be more than 38 mm.
- 50 mm thickness board can be used for support span of 2.6 m.
- Check whether wooden planks are as per standard Specification.
- Check whether wooden planks are free from cracks and any other defects.
- Check whether wooden planks are tied firmly to wooden poles before stepping on it.
Visit for Safety Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChREXvbLQ3fPxOLKflPRj_g